An Australian judge ordered KFC to pay $8.3 million in damages to the family of a girl who suffered brain damage from salmonella poisoning after eating a Twister chicken wrap at a unit near Sydney.
According to Reuters, Monika Samaan, then 7, her parents and brother were hospitalized after eating at the KFC in 2005.
The girl is now in a wheelchair.
In ruling in favor of the family, a New South Wales Supreme Court judge said KFC "breached its duty of care to the girl." The family's attorney said the illness has exhausted the family's resources.
KFC intends to appeal the decision.
Read more about food safety.