ICR, an independent financial communications firm, today announced the 10 picks for the best restaurant stock of 2013 made by a slate of sell-side research analysts at the 15th Annual ICR XChange, which was held last week in Miami.
Nicole Miller Regan, managing director and senior research analyst at Piper Jaffray, was the winner of 2012's stock pick competition for her choice of Sonic Corp., which rose 54.7 percent last year. As a group, the stocks selected as part of last year's competition rose 19.6 percent in 2012.
"Naming the restaurant stocks most likely to outperform in the year ahead has become a tradition that many of us look forward to at the ICR XChange each year. An investor who purchased the entire recommended list for 2012, would have achieved an impressive 19.6-percent return for the year," said Tom Ryan, CEO, ICR.
The participating analysts' predictions for the best performing restaurant stock of 2013 include:
- Bravo Brio Restaurant Group Inc (NASDAQ: BBRG) – Andy Barish, managing director and senior equity research analyst, Jefferies Group Inc.;
- Brinker International Inc. (NYSE: EAT) – Jeffrey Bernstein, director and senior research analyst, Barclays;
- Burger King Worldwide Inc. (NYSE: BKW) – Nicole Miller Regan, managing director and senior research analyst, Piper Jaffray;
- Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. (NYSE: CMG) – David Tarantino, associate director of research, senior research analyst, Robert W. Baird;
- Del Frisco's Restaurant Group Inc. (NASDAQ: DFRG) – Paul Westra, managing director and senior research analyst, Cowen Group;
- Ignite Restaurant Group Inc. (NASDAQ: IRG) – Matt DiFrisco, director and senior analyst, Lazard Capital Markets;
- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Inc. (NYSE: KKD) – Will Slabaugh, vice president and research analyst, Stephens Inc.;
- Panera Bread Co. (NASDAQ: PNRA) – Keith Siegner, director, Equity Research, Credit Suisse;
- Red Robin Gourmet Burgers Inc. (NASDAQ: RRGB) – Bryan Elliott, managing director of Equity Research and Brian Vaccaro, senior research associate, Raymond James & Associates; and
- Starbucks Corporation (NASDAQ: SBUX) – Greg Badishkanian, managing director and senior restaurant and leisure analyst, Citi.
Read more about restaurant trends.