In 2004, White Castle began its reimaging effort, starting with new signage.
In 2005 White Castle’s reimaging moved to the dining rooms. About one-third of the company’s 415 stores have the new interior, which features a softer look thanks to pendant lighting, blue seat covers and nostalgic photos.
White Castle methodically approaches expansion with a slow, steady growth plan. They encounter zoning laws that restrict certain features. This one-of-a-kind store in Columbus, Ohio has a slightly off-white exterior to meet area restrictions.
Quality control is a White Castle hallmark. The company’s wholly owned subsidiary PCB Co., originally formed to prefabricate stores, manufactures all back of house fixtures, including the griddle.
White Castle co-founder E.W. "Billy" Ingram moved the company headquarters from Wichita, Kan., to Columbus, Ohio, in 1934.
The lobby at White Castle company headquarters was recently remodeled. Jamie Richardson, VP of government and shareholder relations for White Castle, greets the receptionist.
Memorabilia in the lobby of White Castle company headquarters includes photos of the founders, E.W. "Billy" Ingram and Walt Anderson. Anderson sold his interest to the company to Ingram in 1934.
White Castle’s first slogan, "Buy ’em by the Sack," was coined in the 1920s. The current slogan, "White Castle, What You Crave," was put in use in 1993 and plays up the brand’s cult-like following.
Stories of customers who have driven an hour or even overnight have long been legend at White Castle. In 2007 the company began honoring those customers who have gone to great lengths to satisfy their craving for Slyders.