Harken restaurateurs: Are you ready for the 'Day of the Dad?'
First off, please note that though we here in the U.S. tend to think we are the center of the universe, the fact is that this coming Sunday is not actually "Father's Day" in at least 10 other countries on the planet, according to holiday dates website, when-is.com. In parts of Europe, Latin America and Northern Africa, for instance, March 19 is the day to pay homage to the family patriarch, so brands with locations in places like Italy and Honduras, well, all we can say is, you're late.
But, here in the "States," restaurateurs are bracing to pull out all the plugs for ol' papa this Sunday, June 18, when hoards of grateful (at least one day of the year) youngsters take dad out for a meal. Many restaurant brands are offering dad's day deals to entice this business, and we'll outline a few below.
But first a few "fun" facts from restaurant management platform company, Upserve, about this father-centric day. The company recently polled 629 Americans to find out how they spend Father's Day and here are some of the more salient results:
- Dinner is the dining time of choice for dear ol' dad: Mom might love lingering with the ladies who lunch on her day, but 51 percent of those polled on Father's Day, said dinner would be the meal they head to the restaurant for this Sunday with dad.
- Dad wants "downhome":No buffalo carpaccio nor cauliflower pizza for pop. The survey found 32 percent of those polled said dad wanted his Father's Day feast plain and simple with something akin to "good old-fashioned steak and potatoes."
- Dad wants his booze basic, too:Just a brew will do for dear ol' dad. The survey found few fathers take much interest in fancy cocktails or wine. Rather, 36.6 percent of those polled said what dad really wants is a cold brew.
Plenty of QSR and pizza restaurant brands are doling out the deals for dad this Sunday and we highlight a handful below. But first, to all those restaurant staff dads who will spend Father's Day making special meals for other fathers, we wish you an especially happy day with only the easiest customers and the best brand buzz. And here now are some examples of what a handful of brands are doing for dad on Sunday:
- Pix of "pops" for pizza:At Bertucci's customers who upload photos of their fathers or father figures on social media, get a certificate good for a small pizza.
- Firehouse, Facebook and Father's Day: The chain is driving traffic to its Facebook page to download its Father's Day coupon that offers a free medium sub with the purchase of another medium or large sub with a side and a drink.
- PDQ drives kids' biz with dad's day offer:This chain is giving dads a free combo meal when someone in their parties orders a kids meal or combo meal.
- Pilot Flying J lures caffeine-craving dads to Facebook for freebie: From Father's Day to the following Saturday, June 24, dads can get a free coffee coupon on this brand's Facebook page.
S.A. Whitehead Award-winning veteran print and broadcast journalist, Shelly Whitehead, has spent most of the last 30 years reporting for TV and newspapers, including the former Kentucky and Cincinnati Post and a number of network news affiliates nationally. She brings her cumulative experience as a multimedia storyteller and video producer to the web-based pages of Pizzamarketplace.com and QSRweb.com after a lifelong “love affair” with reporting the stories behind the businesses that make our world go ‘round. Ms. Whitehead is driven to find and share news of the many professional passions people take to work with them every day in the pizza and quick-service restaurant industry. She is particularly interested in the growing role of sustainable agriculture and nutrition in food service worldwide and is always ready to move on great story ideas and news tips.